Liver (gag). Oh the memories I have of mom trying to get us to eat liver (gag). Now why would a tried and true liver-hater be writing about liver (gag)? The thing is; I’ve been fighting anemia for over two years and I’m constantly looking for new ways to inject more iron into my diet. Liver (gag) is one of the best foods to do so and pâté is a great way to disguise it. Read this with an open mind and palette.
Chicken Liver Pâté
- Chicken Livers (I had real problems finding organic ones so I used local grain fed ones)
- Duck Fat (Judge me not – I’m eating flipping chicken livers here! Ask your butcher about how to get duck fat)
- About duck fat: it’s yummy and don’t freak out about using it in moderation. If you just can’t do it; use organic butter. I’ve tried this recipe with coconut oil and it wasn’t the same. Duck fat is the best option here.
- Organic Boiled Eggs
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Jack Daniels
- Fresh Black Pepper or cayenne powder
- Organic Dried Lemon Zest
- Saute your onion and garlic in a modest amount of duck fat
- Cook the chicken livers (gag) until they are just done and still pink in the middle
- Put everything in your food processor (I used my Cuisinart – not my VitaMix to blend the mixture)
- Add the vinegar, Jack Daniels, thyme, salt, lots of fresh cracked black pepper and a pinch of lemon zest
- Whizz the heck out of it
- Taste for seasoning
- Put into a glass container and refrigerate until it has set up into a firmer pâté
Serving & Storage
- Once the pâté sets up it’s great served on crackers, fresh veggies or spread onto a sandwich a la liverwurst with lots of fresh sprouts and lettuce
- I’ll keep the pâté in the fridge for up to 3 days
- Freeze the remainder of the pâté in small glass jars. It will keep in the freezer for 2 months.
Anita Marie – @OrganicExpert