So we had my parents over for Thanksgiving dinner today. Their contribution to dinner was the purchase of a magnificent 6.5kg, $60 organic turkey and some wonderful deserts. Realizing my parents eat like birds and one of my daughters is vegetarian; I have a lot of tasty turkey left over. Here's how we're going to maximize the investment:
- Turkey Vegetable Fried Rice (recipe below)
- Turkey Bacon Lettuce Wraps
- Turkey Noodle Soup
Turkey Vegetable Fried Rice (needless to say, all ingredients are organic)
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup finely diced white onion
1/2 cup finely diced red pepper
1/2 cup finely diced celery
2 tbsp soya sauce (or to taste)
2 tbsp water
1 cup diced turkey (light and dark meat)
3 cups cold cooked white basmati rice
pinch salt (or to taste)
generous amount of freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat and add the canola oil, onion and garlic. Saute until translucent.
- Add red pepper and celery. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add soya sauce and water. Cover and cook on low for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Turn heat to high.
- Add turkey and rice. Rice should be cold and not warm from being cooked. If the rice is warm you will have more of a sticky rice than a fried rice texture.
- Combine all ingredients and stir on high for 1 minute.
- Turn heat to medium.
- Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Warm through.